Civil Society Standards
In March 2016, the Governing Council adopted Civil Society Standards, a document which lays out a series of steps that the democratic governments that comprise the Community will take to support and protect civil society, including:
• Ensuring effective coordination of existing mechanisms to protect and strengthen civil society.
• Advocating for laws, policies and practices that foster enabling civil society space, and oppose those that unduly impede civil society.
• Developing new and innovative ways to provide technical, financial and logistical support to protect and promote freedom of association.
• Sharing best practices, including ways to engage in dialogue with civil society.
• Endeavouring to undertake diplomatic and coordinated action in support of civil society in countries where it is under threat.
Civil Society Standards are available in six language versions: